The Sparrows way
At Sparrows we strive to educate all our learners without preference or prejudice regardless of social standing or exterior qualities. Our dedicated staff love and treat all our learners as if they were their own children. This we aim to achieve within a secure, caring and disciplined environment.
Our vision statement is Success for today, through the cooperative involvement of learners, parents, educators, and the total community; Preparation for tomorrow through academic achievement for all learners and the development of thinking and reasoning skills; and Learning for a lifetime which assures well-informed, productive citizens for the future. Sparrows Combined School’s vision statement is reflective of our commitment to family and community involvement, high expectations for all learners.
At Sparrows Combined School we strive to:
• Educate for the future.
• Provide a challenging, CAPS based educational program, preparing learners for success in high school and beyond.
• Create an environment of educational excellence by using a variety of instructional strategies and activities to address the varied learning strengths of our learners.
• Provide a caring, nurturing environment in which all learners can feel supported and safe emotionally, intellectually, and physically.
• Build positive personal characteristics such as tolerance, integrity, cooperation and honesty, and encourage respect for the individual differences that make each of us unique.
• Foster each Learners emotional wellbeing. The educators will promote self-concept, pride in accomplishment, self-confidence and self-discipline.
• Foster each Learners intellectual development. The educators will initiate and develop activities that:
- Develop the ability to examine and use information by teaching the essential skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- Develop research skills, computer literacy and the ability to access, assess and apply information
- Develop an awareness of the diverse South African cultures and languages
An outstanding School
Sparrows Combined School has around 300 learners, including similar numbers of male and female learners. It has a distinct multicultural flavour, with a mixture of Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and traditional African religions celebrated throughout the year. The school places particular emphasis on art, culture and music. The success of the yearly school play – “a must see event in the area” underlines Sparrows Combined School passion for the arts. Every year distinctions are obtained in almost all activities in the eisteddfod festival of culture help annually in the area. The academic performance of the learners at the school has placed Sparrows Combined School in the top positions with reference to the Annual National Assessments as well as the matric examinations. Sparrows Combined School matriculants have achieved 100% pass rates in all subjects consistently for the last two years in a row. Sparrows Combined School was listed in the Cambridge University Students’ Union guide to excellence numerous times for its achievements over the last five years.
At Sparrows Combined School we teach the national curriculum as represented in the National Curriculum Statements Grades R – 12. The National Curriculum Statement Grades R-12 represents a policy statement for learning and teaching in South African schools and comprises the following:
a) Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statements for each approved school subject as listed in the policy document National policy pertaining to the programme and promotion requirements of the National Curriculum Statement Grades R – 12;
b) The policy document National policy pertaining to the programme and promotion requirements of the National Curriculum Statement Grades R – 12 which describes the number of subjects to be offered by learners in each grade and the promotion requirements to be obtained; and
c) The policy document National Protocol for Assessment Grades R – 12 which standardises the recording and reporting processes for Grades R – 12 within the framework.
Rooted in multiculturalism Sparrows Combined School has a long history of providing excellent programmes in academics, arts, music and culture, well rounded social development and a values driven ethical approach to educating children.
At the heart of the curriculum program is the desire to develop:
• Respect for others
It was the first school in the area to open its door to learners of all colours, backgrounds and religions in 1998 well before the Apartheid era was abolished. Being a secular school all main religious events are celebrated at the school including Christian Easter, Ramadan, Diwali and Yom Kippur. This has resulted in a true Rainbow school where the colour of one’s skin, religious belief and culture are not the determining factors of the learner’s position in the school. These traits are further enhanced with relation to human dignity, social justice and human dignity on an ongoing manner in the school through celebrating events such as Cultural day, through weekly assemblies and the annual school play. Class sizes vary from 12 to 20 learners in the school. This allows the teachers to give personal attention to learners who need additional help or with different abilities. Being a small neighbourhood school most of the learners in the school come from the neighbourhood or the suburbs nearby. Most of the learners join Sparrows Combined School in grade 1 and remain at the school all the way up to grade 12. This enhances the perception that the school is a family orientated school. Teachers have very high expectations of all learners and the school is proud of the professionalism of its teachers.
• School hall
• Computer centre
• Wi-Fi enabled network throughout the school
• Art and design centre
• NS Lab
• Mini soccer/Netball/Basketball/Volleyball fields
• Tuck shop
• Mini bus
- Our drama students will participate in the one act Wits RAPS competition this year. Good luck to them.
- Our girls are participating in the Southern Gautend touch rugby tournament this year. Good luck to them.
Sparrows matriculants achieved a 100% pass rate with a 50% Bsc university entrance results.
MEC awards Sparrows for the fantastic matric results.
Department of education awards Sparrows for matric results for the third year in a row.
The Sparrows golf day at the Reading country club was a fantastic success. Thank you to all the sponsors BMW, Fox, FNB, Nedbank and Caterpillar trucks for their continued support. Also a big thank you to all the players, organisers and friends who helped out on the day.
2017 is going to be the year where Sparrows achieves its goal of becoming the top achieving school in the region